This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for Willington Hall Cottage
Willington Hall Cottage is a Grade 2 listed stone built cottage dating back to the mid 1600’s. It has recently been
fully refurbished to a high standard to provide exceptional, comfortable accommodation for you to enjoy your stay. We are in a village location with easy access to the open country side and 7
miles from the historic city of Durham, thereby providing an excellent base for you to explore the many local attractions.
Willington Hall Cottage has spacious accommodation which sleeps four people in 1 double and 1 twin ensuite bedrooms on the first floor with shower/WC, Cloaks, Lounge, Kitchen and Dining room on ground floor. Please see floor plans
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01388 745974 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using www.transportdirect.info; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is DL15 0BD to get directions.
- The main entrance to the cottage is off Church View which is a cul-de-sac with pavement and a junction road from the A690 in Low Willington.
- The nearest bus stop complete with shelter and seating is 150m from the cottage. For people with reduced mobility, many of the buses have a step-free entrance and low floor area including priority seating and a dedicated space for wheelchair or scooter users. DDA-compliant buses also have a ramp for safe access.
- There is a regular bus service to/from Durham City, Bishop Auckland, Crook and the Durham Dales. The No.46 bus runs to/from Durham City bus station every 20mins Monday – Saturday and every hour on Sundays. Bus times can vary, for further details see the bus operator’s website http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/. Traveline North East also provide comprehensive timetable information for all local bus, coach, metro, ferry and trains throughout the North East and Cumbria on their website http://www.travelinenortheast.info/Pages/Home.aspx.The nearest railway station is 7 miles away at Durham City which is on the high speed east coast main line between London, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Taxis are available at the station.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- There is private off road car parking for 4 vehicles at the front of the cottage.
- The parking area has a flat gravel surface and is within 10 metres of the entrance.
- External lighting illuminates the front and rear of the property under presence detection control.
- On arrival ring the doorbell at Willington Hall which is the adjacent property. Guests will be welcomed, given a set of keys and given a tour of the facilities
- Assistance can be given with luggage.
Entrance to Property
- There are two steps down from the parking area to the front door of the cottage and the adjacent French doors whilst this is level access to the rear entrance door. The front door is 970mm/38ins wide, French doors 1680mm/66ins wide and the rear door is 790mm/31ins wide.
- The entrance is well lit by an external light fitting controlled by presence detection.
- There is hard standing outside the entrance door whilst there is real wood flooring inside the entrance.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The hall, stairs and landings are well lit using a combination of ceiling and wall lights.
- The floor covering in the hall is solid wood and short pile carpet on the stairs and first floor landing.
- The oak staircase with handrail on one side has a 90° turn at the bottom and 13 continuous steps from ground to first floor.
- The sitting room/lounge is situated on the ground floor with level entry from the hallway.
- The door opening to the lounge is 790mm/31ins wide.
- The room has two double sofas and cushions together with a low coffee table and corner tables.
- Furniture can be moved.
- There is a widescreen digital television with remote control, subtitles, and a DVD player.
- Lighting is natural daylight and by night is provided by a ceiling chandelier light fitting and table lamp.
- There is an original stone fireplace and hearth with log burning stove and fire guard,
- The flooring is real wood with rug.
- The dining room is situated on the ground floor with level entry from the hallway and is open plan with the kitchen.
- The door opening to the dining room from the hallway is 810mm/32ins wide.
- The dining table (moveable) has legs on each corner and is 650mm/25.5ins from floor to lowest point of table (underspace) and is 800mm/31.5ins high.
- There is free space around the table.
- There are 6 dining table chairs (all moveable).
- There are French doors 1680mm/66ins wide leading to external patio area
- Lighting is natural daylight with ceiling spot lights.
- The Flooring is real wood
- The kitchen is situated on the ground floor with level access and is open plan with the dining room.
- The is external level access to the kitchen with a door opening of 790mm/31ins.
- There is a free standing cooker with gas hob, electric double oven/grill and plate warmer The door of the top oven and plate warmer drops down and the handle is 710mm/28ins above the floor and the door of the bottom oven drops down and the handle is 410mm/16ins above the floor. The hob is 900mm/35.5ins above the floor.
- Worktop and sink are 870mm/34.25ins above the floor.
- Kitchen storage wall units are fitted at 500mm/19.75ins above the worktop and cupboards also built-in under the under the work top.
- There is a built-in fridge and freezer with fridge positioned above the freezer. The door handle for the fridge is 1050mm/41.5ins above the floor and the door handle for the freezer is 690mm/27ins above the floor. The shelves in the fridge are adjustable and the highest shelf is 1700mm/67ins and lowest drawer in freezer 380mm/15ins.
- Front loading integrated dish washer under worktop 600mm/24ins wide.
- Front loading integrated automatic washing machine under worktop 600mm/24ins wide.
- Colour coordinated toaster, microwave, and cordless kettle at work top height together with a range of kitchen utensils.
- Kitchen Island with 790mm/31ins from floor to the lowest point of table (underspace) with work top at 880mm/34.25ins above floor complete with two matching height adjustable seats.
- Glasses and crockery can be moved from wall cupboards to lower cupboards, if required, please request this when booking.
- The kitchen is evenly lit with ceiling halogen spotlights with additional under kitchen wall unit lighting and within extract hood above cooker.
- Flooring is tiled.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- On the first floor there is 1 bedroom with a double bed and1 bedroom with twin beds both of which have level access from the landing and are reached by the stairs only.
- The door openings to both bedrooms are 760mm/30ins wide.
- The height of the double bed from the top of the mattress to the floor is
- 550mm/21.5ins and 600mm/24ins for the twin beds.
- Rooms are bright and evenly lit. Lighting is natural daylight and at night ceiling chandelier lights and bedside table lights in each room. Additional dressing table lights are also provided in each room.
- Both bedrooms offer good colour contrast between the floors, walls and doors, short pile carpet and non-feather bedding.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- On the ground floor there is a Shower/WC room with level access.
- The door opening is 840mm/33ins.
- The shower enclosure is 1100x800mm with a 610mm/24ins access door opening and a 240mm/9.5ins step up onto the shower tray.
- The wash hand basin height is 865mm/34ins with lever tap.
- The WC pan height is 400mm/16ins with push button flush operation and slow closing seat.
- Lighting is natural daylight with ceiling spotlights.
- Tiled Flooring.
- The first floor double bedroom has en-suite comprising of a 1200x750mm shower c/w low profile 50mm high tray and non-slip mat, WC and hand basin.
- The first floor twin bedroom has ensuite comprising of a whirlpool bath (550mm/21.5ins above floor) and non-slip mat, WC and hand basin.
- The door openings to both ensuite’s are 725mm/28.5ins and have a 250mm/9.5ins step access.
- The wash hand basin heights are 850mm/33.5ins with lever taps
- The WC pan heights are 400mm/16ins with push button flush operation and slow closing seat.
- Lighting is natural daylight with uniform ceiling LED spotlights and over-mirror light.
- Cushion Flooring
- A level gravel surface extends around the front, side and rear of the cottage.
- The garden at the rear has a grassed area with raised flower beds.
- We have a paved patio area in the garden which can be accessed from the kitchen or front of the cottage.
- We also have a paved Patio area at the front of the cottage which can be accessed through French doors in the Dining Room.
- Patio table & chairs and a barbeque are available.
- Level access from the entrance hall.
- The door opening is 815mm/32ins wide.
- The cloak hook rail is 1800mm/72ins above floor level.
- The room is uniformly lit by ceiling recessed spot lights.
- Flooring is real wood.
- All areas in the cottage have good colour contrast between the floor, doors and walls.
- The nearest General Hospital with urgent care facilities is 6.5 miles away and the nearest Doctor’s surgery/medical Centre is 0.7 miles away.
- Wi-Fi internet access is provided.
- Baby cot and high chair are available
- The cottage is no smoking throughout although smoking is permitted in outside areas
- We can offer information of nearby attractions, shops and suggested places to eat.
- We have just refurbished and set up our cottage accommodation and website, we would welcome your comments to help to improve our service and your stay with us.
Address (Inc postcode):
Willington Hall, 52 low Willington, Willington, Crook Durham, DL15 0BD
NZ 20557 34913
Hours Of Operation:
Open all year round
Local Accessible Taxi:
AABAT Taxis Tel. 01388 607607
Local Public Transport:
Traveline North East Tel. 0871 2002233